Suzie says: “If your dishes get SUPER hot in the microwave, they have lead in them!”
Awe mom, you have got to be kidding me! I have been microwaving these plates since my wedding day almost 4 years ago. Are we all going to die from lead poisoning? No way, the bottom even says… oh no… it just says “dishwasher safe,” we all ARE going to die of lead poising (pity party of one)!
This can’t be true!
Google search… awe man!?!
Go to IKEA to get new plates.
Get flustered at IKEA because everything is made in China… can’t have that…
Find cute glass (made in France) dinner dishes for .99!
We are safe again.
Just because your plates say they are microwave/dishwasher safe doesn’t mean they are lead free. Here is one helpful article. Lead testing kits are also available at the hardware store for around $10. Do some some quick research of your own. Following is a microwave safe test I found. I didn’t actually try it, because my dishes got VERY hot in the microwave… I mean if you touched the post microwaved bowl you would have blistered and my mom said to get new dishes. She has her Bachelors in Consumer Science so I just listen when she talks… plus she is my mom.
Microwave Dish Test
To test whether a dish can be used in a microwave oven, make the following test: Pour 1/2 cup cold water into a glass measure. Set a measuring cup inside the dish to be tested. Cook 1 minute.
Use: If water is warm and dish remains cool, or if dish is warm yet can still be picked up with bare hands, the dish can be used.
DO NOT use the dish if water remains cool and dish gets too hot to handle.